Caterpillars in local Park.

Caterpillars, we all know they turn into beautiful, majestic butterflies as time moves on. They say it is a beautiful event, which I never had time to watch. Or, even because it was at times hard to find one, that was transforming into one. I should check out the dates, and try to watch it happen sometime.

As it would seem I could have a chance. Like yesterday, we were walking through the local park here, as I watched on the ground the many caterpillars crossing the trail. I became wary, and tried not to step on them. Then I looked over at the tree, a birch tree, and seen it covered in caterpillars. I found that was very interesting. Smothered in caterpillars.

Then, as I moved on, I noticed all the birch trees were covered with, caterpillars. Phenomenal,  I thought. Then I looked up, and seen that all the leaves were gone. Interesting. I gazed out farther into the distance on top of a hill overlooking the park. Wow. All the leaves, are gone. Many acres, eaten up!

You walk through the small walking trails that are dotted through the forest, and in some areas you can see them falling on your own person. They seemed to avoid the fir trees, and maples, but just love to eat up the poplar and birch trees. It almost made it look like early spring, all over again, just with the green crust of the leaf left over.

This was the first time, I had ever seen something like this. I am unsure of how widespread this carries on throughout the province, but they do say it can kill some trees. Some trees will survive. Perhaps it is the dry season we had so far, with just a little rain here and there, that helped propagate the species.

They sure can make waste of a forest, pretty fast. For small creatures.  It makes you think, if any type of bug from another country makes it in, how hard it could be to get rid of the threat.

Have a great day, till next time..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canada has a carbon tax. Something that will never work.

Borador- labrador collie mix

They say you are more famous when you are dead.. lol...