Skip to main content

My take on the book business so far.

This was exposed to be the month I would have began publishing "Supermarketdominium",  part III in "The Supermarket Guy" series. Unexpected low sales results, has pushed this on the back burner for quite awhile. When I say unexpected, it is because everyone things their works are good. It is because you created it, and we all think the same until the final tally comes out from our friends and neighbors.

In my case, not so much the criticism. Out of 15 reviews, I only received one stringing one and one other not so bad one. The rest of the reviews were great.

The only thing I can think of, as a main problem that  might have had over the years, is probably the main launching point. Part 1 was the slowest launch in history. I did not have any contests, being green to the whole business. Even Part 2, did I only learn how to do some contests in the end, just to get some reviews in. Others will say that you should have a contest out even before the book arrives in print. I have seen this done on many sites, and wondered how a book ready for 2014 can have a contest out in 2013! Great marketing skills.

The launch point is an important point. Without that, you are just more or less relying on a Bieber following to occur.  This is a rare thing to happen right now, and as far as I am concerned I am an unbielieber.

Great pricing can help you sell anything. Something that I was afar from, as Amazon wanted a slice, and so did my Book Publisher. I questioned why do they take such and such a slice, even unable to lower prices on my kindle to a point where I would have liked to see a 2 dollar book come out. The others would not take a cut on their end, either.

Marketing was the other problem I had, as I discussed many times on this blog. No exposure, no front page news. The old media of radio, talk shows, are probably still the best outlets out there for you. The internet, social media, is slow and charged with other peoples ads. Who is going to think your ad is better than another with a small, tiny description?

And, you know where I stand on the brick and mortar type stores. For a guy like me, it does not offer me any advantages. To drive to urban areas, spending a few hundred dollars to sell a few dozen or so books is a hard path to travel.  I can see the advantages that authors have in New York City, or in Los Angeles where there are bookstores located in every square 2000 feet?

I will still try some different things, but as of now, "Supermarketdominium" is on the shelves with the Roswell file.  Did it really exist? Till next time..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Dog has ate a Ferrero Rocher.

I had only went into a store to buy a few Ferrero Rocher packages of chocolates... Then, I went into the next store, not realizing that I left the small, 3 chocolates per package, delicious Rochers in my middle vehicle organizer. On the way back, I did not even notice.

I had got out of my vehicle, and only when I went to search for something on that side, it all came together. The package was torn, with only one individually wrapped Ferro Rocher out of its packaging. She had selected one, and even tore the golden foil paper from the once existing Rocher Chocolate.

I looked over at my Dog. This was a little too much for me to handle. I yelled "Pushkin! You ate one of my Ferrero Rocher!"  Is she the only dog in the world that probably ate a Ferrero Rocher.

Good point in standing, she actually thought the process through. She did not destroy the three chocolates in the package, all in one bite. She used her incisors, exactly as a surgeon would, to take apart the package from t…

The Self Publishing 12 days of Christmas for 95 % of us...

What does Christmas mean for the majority of us self published authors. I think of the 12 days of self publishing... Scrooge approved.

1. The usual "Gesh, I didn't know you wrote a book! Where did you find time for that" from festive long lost friends or relatives.

2. When your manly friends tell you "Oh, I did'nt have time to read your books, but my wife read it and she sure likes it... But she likes just about anything she reads"

3. Where can I get a copy of that. I don't got a credit card so I can't order it online... Do you got any free copies...

4. The wife tells you "Why are you spending so much time on that thing. You got wood to split!"

5. Your son tells you "You should have put more pictures in that novel, dad. Maybe then I would have read it"

6. Your local library tells you "Oh, what a cute little book... We will put it way up there on the top shelf where it will keep the dust from falling on the traditional books"

7…